Thursday 25 June 2015

Another tagged "Capie" in Hwange

Just a day or so ago I was looking for lions in the Ngamo area of Hwange when a large vulture caught my eye. Its wing seemed to shine and when I put my bins on it I realised why......it had a tag!
I took a careful photograph from about 100m just in case i couldn't get closer but in hind sight I needn't have bothered because with a careful approach I managed to get underneath the tree it was in.
The 400mm lens did a superb job of getting me a shot clear enough to see the number on its yellow wing tags and as luck would have it.....I had 3G coverage on my cell. I Googled "Tagged Cape Vultures" and got a contact address and send in my re-capture sighting. Within an hour or two I had a reply from Kerri Wolter (Vulpro) to say that that bird had been rehabilitated and released from the Blouberg nature reserve in South Africa. More info is being collected for me on the other sightings but in the mean time I have looked back in my photos and found another Cape Griffon that I saw in Hwange with tags. That one too was a rehabilitated bird from the same area.
Cape Griffon (tag number C212) seen in Ngamo, Hwange



                                                                    The Hwange Birder

No comments:

Post a Comment