Monday 2 December 2013

Back on the map

I have just been out tracking lions again in what I feel is the best birding area in Hwange, Ngamo!
The rains have yet to really arrive so it is not showing its real potential yet but even so I was blown away with what I saw and photographed.

I got my best photo of a young Lanner so far as it flew from elephant turd to elephant turd to eat the termites feeding on them.
Young Lanner falcon feeding on termites in elephant dung
 
I atlassed full-time and got some incredible birds...some of which (like the African Hobby) is currently with the rarities committee awaiting confirmation!!


African Hobby?

I saw a white stork killed by Tawny eagle, a yellow wagtail and marvelled at how Abdim's storks seem to overshoot the runway and then just fold wings and somehow make it on to tarmac!

I have been so busy in recent months that I have not really been keeping up with the Atlasing so it is a great feeling to be "back on the map"

The Hwange Birder
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment