Thursday 4 December 2014

Vulture dust and backlit spit!

Recently a giraffe was killed when it touched a low power cable and it has attracted lions. I have been there a couple of times to watch the cats but yesterday the lions had moved off when the electricity authority came to fix the pole. When I got there in the afternoon the sun was heading for the horizon and that means one thing to a wildlife photographer.......BACKLIGHT!!!!!

I set myself facing directly into the sun and put my camera on spot metering. I set up my shutter speed to 1/8000sec and the camera used the full f2.8 on my 400m lens to keep the ISO to a relatively low 2000! To some of you that may sound gobble-de-gook but here are the results!

Hundreds of White-backed vultures, who had been waiting patiently for days, descended and the ensuing battle for "an opening" was wonderful action to photograph.




If you are a wildlife photographer and havn't tried "Contre jour" ("back-light" to us plebs) then do because it will add a new dimension to your work.

                                                               The Hwange Birder

No comments:

Post a Comment