Wednesday 26 March 2014

Black-tailed Godwit in Hwange!!

I know it has been an absolute age since I last posted something on this blog but I have a real beauty for you today!

I received a phone call from a good friend last night, John Brebner, and my heart skipped a beat!
He asked me if I had seen any unusual birds at Hwange's Nyamandhlovu pan recently because he had just seen and photographed what he thought was a Black-tailed Godwit. I told him not to pull my leg and that I was leaving right then with torch in hand!!

I didn't go last night but I did rush there this morning only to find the bird, in perfect light feeding in amongst a flock of Wood sandpipers and Ruff, just 5 m from the road. I had charged the battery for my camera, checked the memory card and packed the 600mm lens for just this reason and here are the results.

Black-tailed Godwit at Nyam (Hwange)

Black-tailed Godwit feeding amongst sandpipers
This bird is a real rarity here in Zimbabwe let alone Hwange. Just how rare I will have to check with the experts but I will update this blog with that information. In the mean time, if you are anywhere near Hwange, pull in an look for it amongst any and every feeding flock of waders near nyam platform. There is a small natural pan on the right of the road about 200m before the platform with lovely open views if its feeding there.  good luck and many many thanks and congratulations to John and Jenny Brebner for spotting this and sharing it with us.

                                                                  The Hwange Birder

No comments:

Post a Comment