Friday 27 January 2012

Whats going on here then?


From my office window I spotted a pair of Meves' Starlings (formerly the Long-tailed Starling) seemingly feeding chicks inside a fence pole and was intently watching them as i didn't know that they nested in these holes. For a moment my attention was drawn away and when i looked back, instead of the starlings there was a pair of Southern Black Tits "bringing home the bacon!"

"What is going on here" I thought as I watched it happen several times over.
Actually as I write this it is happening again and I am not sure if the Tits are taking food to their chicks and as they fly the Starlings are trying to steal it or are the Starlings trying to get at the chicks?
We started hypothesising......saying that they have hybridised and we should be on the look out for  "Superb tits" in the garden soon!

Any ideas would be appreciated.

The two pictures taken a few minutes apart.












The Hwange Birder

No comments:

Post a Comment